Coconut Oil for dry hair – How to use it to protect the hair from protein loss, damage, and split ends.
Coconut Oil For Dry Hair | How To Use It Correctly – Coconut oil is known to be a great conditioning treatment for dry or fragile hair. Also, coconut oil can protect the hair from protein loss. In this case, it will protect the hair from damage and split ends. Furthermore, it leaves the hair soft to the touch if used correctly over some time.
Eventually, coconut oil will improve the condition of dry hair types. For it to work, you will have to make a few changes to your hair care regimen. Not used correctly coconut oil can leave your hair feeling dry and brittle. Many people choose not to use coconut oil due to this reason. Now, I am going to explain the proper way to use coconut to improve the total health of your hair.
Does coconut oil penetrate hair to the cortex level
Coconut oil must be used on clarified hair for it to penetrate hair to the cortex level. Moreover, the shampoo used should not contain any ingredients that will coat the hair or cause product build-up. In other words, shampoos containing conditioning or protein ingredients will be preventing lauric acid (found in coconut oil) from entering the hair strands. Coconut oil does not do well as a post-wash grooming aid because coconut oil can only enter the hair strands during shampooing or with added heat.
How does coconut oil cause dry hair or brittle ends?
Coconut oil used on top of hair that has been coated with any product(s) will lead to dry hair and brittle ends. Only because lauric acid can not get past the conditioner or product that is coating the hair. This is why your hair must be clarified with a cleansing agent to allow absorption.
As I have said, coconut oil wants to enter the hair strands. This is the reason why many people are having problems with it. Even if coconut is used along with conditioner or mixed with oils, butters, or waxy feeling products you will not get the full benefits of it. It may be another reason why your hair is continuously feeling dry. – Coconut Oil For Dry Hair
How To Apply Coconut Oil To Hair
- Use it only on freshly washed clarified hair to get the benefits of the oil. The clarifying shampoos will have the least amount of polymers or conditioning ingredients.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap then leave it in for an hour or sit under a hairdryer for at least 15 minutes to allow it the thoroughly enter the hair strands.
- Then lightly shampoo your hair. (coconut oil will still be “in the cuticles” your hair after you shampoo. You will only be removing the surface oil from your hair strands.)
- Next, apply your moisturizer (I prefer aloe vera juice or an herbal hair tea as a conditioner).
- Finally, apply your oil of choice or hair butter.
Here is a list of recommended clarifying shampoos that can be used weekly.
- VO5 Normal Balancing Shampoo,
- Apple Pectin Fortifying Shampoo,
- Ouidad Water Works Shampoo (Deep cleanser for major build-up) recommended when hair is dry due to not absorbing enough moisture.
- Shampoo Bars – vegetable-based with saponified oils
- Dr. Bronners Castile Liquid Soap.
A Final Point Involving Coconut Oil For Dry Hair
You will find that after repeated use of coconut oil you eventually will no longer need the aid of commercial-grade conditioners to keep your hair soft and moisturized. Allow at least 3 to 4 months to see results. Improve the condition of your hair by using coconut oil for dry hair.
I hope this information I’ve shared above helps improve the overall health of your hair. If you have any questions please leave them in the comment section below.
You May Also Enjoy These Articles!
Until Next Post, Stay Tuned